AN OBSERVATION OF LIFE'S OVERLAPS

Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Christkindlemarkt


In my defense, they never asked me for my ticket. I didn’t try to sneak in. I honestly didn’t know there was an admission!  Down the street from my apartment is a German beer hall called Paulaner Brauhaus which apparently holds a Christmas Market (Christkindlemarkt) every year for a 25 yuan admission fee---to keep away all the locals I suppose.  The “rift raft”, as one old friend would put it.  It was a lovely market, something a kin to the stands at Union Square and Bryant Park every year (which don’t charge admission, might I add). The Christmas Market did have food stands though with a mix of German and Western fare like Bratwursts, Pretzels, Chili, Goulash, etc. I bought myself some hot, spiced Gluϋhwein that came with a red ceramic cup and reusable  green plastic lid and white sleeve. How cute! And THAT’S when they asked me for my ticket. Maybe if you drank two the second one was half price or something...I dont’ know. It’s not like the Gluϋhwein or anything in there was free.  Well. All I could manage was a bashful “I must have misplaced it” and slowly slithered away to quickly buy some folk art stationary cards before I made a run for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment