AN OBSERVATION OF LIFE'S OVERLAPS

Friday, September 24, 2010

The Petty Foibles of Office Life are Universal



It's officially Fall, my favorite season and the beginning of a new TV line up to look forward to.  The show that's caught my eye is "Outsourced" a new comedy on NBC about an American guy that is forced to move to India because his management position at a call center has been outsourced to India.  There he encounters a parody of personalities and the quirky office culture of his new employees.  The show caught me instantly. Basically, any concept that explores and sometimes makes fun of cultural stereotypes, usually get me.  Harold & Kumar was a brave step and Modern Family is another of my favorites.  It is through observing, dissecting, and bringing to light this cultural hodgepodge of America(ns), that we can find understanding and hopefully laugh at ourselves.

I'm so glad that NBC took a chance with this show and I hope it does well.   God knows all we need is NOT another law or forensics or vampire-themed show.  " Outsourced" is refreshing and relevant to the issues of today yet most importantly funny and something we would want to end the day with.  The time slot after The Office draws a great comparison that, "Whether it's a paper company in Scranton, Pa., or a call center in Mumbai, the petty foibles of office life are universal( Washington EXPRESS)."  Maybe one day there will be room for an East Asian parody--and I mean something better than what Margaret Cho tried to do back in the '90s because let's face it, the All American Girl is never something we would ever want to be in this global society and her portrayal of Asian Americans were just down right two-dimensional and painful.

2 comments:

  1. sadly, no matter what Margaret Cho does/ has done... nothing forgives her for All American Girl. I was excited to watch outsourced but I missed it. Did you catch it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see it. I thought it was cute and made me laugh. Maybe you can catch it online. I'd be interested to know what Indian-Americans are saying.

    ReplyDelete