AN OBSERVATION OF LIFE'S OVERLAPS

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What's Old is New Again


Photos courtesy of DC Nine

It was Thursday night and my cousin and I were in need of a distraction.  As an avid reader, literary type--she always seems to know what's going on oppose to myself who usually exists in a bubble outside of my imposed list of responsibilities.   It's not that I actively buffer myself from the outside world, just that I know I am easily distracted and so the less irrelevant information the better.  That being said, I am not one that actively follows music or is even confident about her musical taste outside of satisfying myself.  However, on Thursday night we went to DC Nine (bar and music venue on 9th street) and saw April Smith and The Great Picture Show.  She was really good!   I believe they're based in Brooklyn now, but in all my years in NY I'd never heard of them until coming to DC.  

Smith's voice is unexpectedly powerful and although they've been classified from folk to country to swing, her musical style reminds me of Broadway musical performers.  It's got that energy and snappiness to it. Plus, she flirts with the audience and is a great showmen.  Her band, The Great Picture Show jams merrily behind her giving off that campy enthusiasm of the roaring 20s swing parties.  If you're a fan of the HBO series Weeds, you may already have heard their Terrible Things. If not, check it out here.  Hope you enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment